PT Boat Forum


Moderated by: Dick, Jeff D

The PT Boat Forum ª PT Boats of WWII ª  PT Boats - General

Page: 1 of 1

Back to Topic Index Page 123 | Replies: 2

 Author  Topic: OT? Poverty of brick & mortar hobby shops
PeterTareBuilder

TOP BOSS
  

    
Post a Reply To This Topic    Reply With Quotes     Edit Message     View Profile of PeterTareBuilder  Posted on: May 18, 2012 - 2:08pm
Wanting to continue working on my Lindber 1/32 scale PT boat this weekend and give the hull a sea trial on the local pond. So... Went to a hobby shop out of town today to get a coupling for join my motor to the prop driveshaft. Guess what? They don't stock that sort of thing any more. You have to order parts if you're building your own boat. No wonder internet ordering is getting so popular. I ordered the two parts and the dogbone to join them but have to wait at least a week for them to come in. I couldn'teven get a motor mount for the motor without having to order one. I'm going to build my own motor mount.

I see a problem here.

Hobby shops don't want to carry much stock. Customer comes in to get something they need right away. The shop doesn't have it and has to order it. The customer has to wait a week for delivery and that go back to the shop to pick it up. Customer next time orders online and has the stuff delivered directly to them. Less deman for stock at the hobby shop. The shop then maintains even less stock. The cycle continues until only a hard core of customers are left dealing with the shop or the shop closes its doors forever.

Twenty-five years ago I could go into a shop and get everything I needed to RC a boat in one stop. Now its a chore to track down the stuff you want or need in a brick and mortar store.

At least I have my other Lindberg boat to run on the pond this long (Victoria Day Monday here) weekend.

I hope to get some images for you too.

Cheers

"Give me a faster PT boat for I'd like to get out of harm's way!"

Total Posts: 494 | Joined: Jun 24, 2008 - 5:59pm | IP Logged

Michael Snodgrass

Full Member
  

    
Post a Reply To This Topic    Reply With Quotes     Edit Message     View Profile of Michael Snodgrass  Posted on: May 18, 2012 - 8:50pm
They carry what they sell! Went looking for simple CA and accelerator for it at a local "Hobby" shop. Found it stuffed in the corner....Had to wade thru row after row of RC car and truck stuff! I know what they sell!!!! One day i went to another older hobby shop looking for a rudder linkage for 2 rudders from a single servo, I found it on a very small display of stuff that looked at least 20 years old! Old "Perfect" brand parts and very old Dubro stuff! I have a freind that works at a local "Hobbytown" in Euclid, ohio. First he and i are surprised they are still open since several others in northern ohio are closed. He says that 90% of stuff across the counter is RC car and truck, the other 10% is airplane. Not even 1% is boat stuff! They carry what they sell, anything else sets for years waiting for someone like you and me and were few in number!

Dam the torpedoes...full speed ahead!

Total Posts: 31 | Joined: Dec 28, 2011 - 12:52am | IP Logged

Michael Snodgrass

Full Member
  

    
Post a Reply To This Topic    Reply With Quotes     Edit Message     View Profile of Michael Snodgrass  Posted on: May 18, 2012 - 8:58pm
Another thing i might add....try finding 75mhz stick radios for RC boats and ships! Its all 2.4ghz now....problem is, i do RC subs as well, 2.4ghz doesnt work for rc subs. The signal wont penetrate water! Lots of old 75mhz radios getting grabbed off ebay and other classifieds by RC sub builders! Lucky for the Car and Truck guys, they prefer pistol radios and the manufacturers know it! Plenty of those in 75mhz still, but not for long!

Dam the torpedoes...full speed ahead!

Total Posts: 31 | Joined: Dec 28, 2011 - 12:52am | IP Logged


Lock Topic

 

Forum Legend

New Member

Reply to topic

More than 25 posts | Full Member

Reply to topic with quoted message

More than 50 posts | Advanced Member

Edit Message

More than 150 posts | MASTER

View profile

More than 300 posts | TOP BOSS

Email member